< Back to Archive
Family Fitness Challenge: Lettuce Wraps
Preferred Chef: Age 16 and older
Category: Main Dish
Degree of Difficulty: Medium
Recipe courtesy of Charlene Lugar
- 16 Boston Bibb or butter lettuce leaves
- 1 pound lean pork
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over high heat, cook the pork in 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often and reducing the heat to medium, if necessary. Drain, and set aside to cool. Cook the onion in the same pan, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, hoisin sauce, vinegar sauce to the onions, and stir. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, green onions, sesame oil, and cooked pork; continue cooking until the onions just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter, and pile meat mixture in the center. To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat into a lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito, and enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? Send your comments or review to FitCity Recipes.